"Learning to read is hard; not learning is harder."
Burbank Public Library has provided literacy services since 1992. We offer FREE one-to-one tutoring to adults, 18 or older, who speak and understand English, but read and write below 8th grade level. Literacy Services, a member of California Library Literacy Services, receives matching funds from the California State Library. Since 1992, 1,541 volunteer tutors have provided 53,261 hours of instruction to 1,615 adult learners.
If your organization, business, or agency has ever considered offering a literacy program on-site, please contact the Literacy Office at (818) 238-5577 about becoming a literacy partner.
|3/19/15||Thurs.||6:00 - 8:30 pm||Orientation|
|3/21/15||Sat.||10:00 am - 4:30 pm||Training|
|3/28/15||Sat.||10:00 am - 4:30 pm||Training|
|6/4/15||Thurs.||6:00 - 8:30 pm||Orientation|
|6/6/15||Sat.||10:00 am - 4:30 pm||Training|
|6/13/15||Sat.||10:00 am - 4:30 pm||Training|
|8/20/15||Thurs.||6:00 - 8:30 pm||Orientation|
|8/22/15||Sat.||10:00 am - 4:30 pm||Training|
|8/29/15||Sat.||10:00 am - 4:30 pm||Training|
|12/3/15||Thurs.||6:00 - 8:30 pm||Orientation|
|12/5/15||Sat.||10:00 am - 4:30 pm||Training|
|12/12/15||Sat.||10:00 am - 4:30 pm||Training|
Our mission is to help create a better informed community in which literacy helps parents read to their children, improves job prospects for adults, and leads families toward positive life choices.
- We offer literacy tutoring for adults, 18 or older, who speak and understand English but read and write below an 8th grade level.
- Learners attend an Orientation, then meet with a tutor twice weekly for at least six months.
- To make an appointment for an interview, call (818) 238-5577.
Ready To Read -- Youth Literacy
- We offer literacy tutoring for 4th-12th graders who read below grade level.
- Learners meet with an adult or high school tutor for twice weekly one-hour sessions.
- To make an appointment for an assessment, call (818) 238-5577.
- Volunteer tutors must be 18 or older. No experience is necessary. (High school students can volunteer in the Ready To Read program.)
- Tutors meet twice weekly with an adult learner (for a minimum of six months), or twice weekly with a 4th-12th grader reading below grade level.
- To register for a 15-hour Tutor Workshop, call (818) 238-5577.
For one out of five adults in the United States, reading this paragraph is either difficult or impossible. Twenty percent of adults have trouble with filling out forms, taking the DMV license exam without assistance, helping their children with homework, addressing an envelope, or writing a check.
To learn more about literacy, visit:
- Southern California Library Literacy Network
- California Library Literacy Services
- Center for the Book
- SCLLN Blog